Boat fishing The decree n°2007-1317 (lien) of the 6th September 2007 relating to the practice of recreational fishery modifies the decree n°90-618 of the 11th July 1990.
Memorandum DPMA/SDPM/N2007-9613 (lien) of the 19th April 2007 relates to the recreational fishery.
The decree (lien) of the 19th March 2007 détermines the minimal weight and the minimal size of the catchs (fish and other marine animals) for the recreational fishery in the maritime waters which falls under the French sovereignty or the jurisdiction.
Rules CE N°850/98 of the 30th March 1998 and JO L125 of the 27th April 1998.
|Excerpt of the decree n°90-618 of the 11th July 1990 |
Decree related to the pratice of recreational fishery
Consolided version of the 30th December 1999 – initial JO version
Article 1 Within the meaning of this decree, is authorised as recreational sea fishing fishery of which products are reserved to the private consumption of the fisher and his family and cannot be sold from door to door, displayed for sale, sold in any form, or bought knowingly.
It is praticed either with the use of ships (boats) or other crafts that are not equipped for fishing crews ; or by swimming or diving ; or by foot on public maritime domain or on rivers and cannals which are salt waters.
Article 2 The recreational sea fishing has to submit to the provisions of this decree, as well as to those of the regulations able to be applied on professional fishers concerning the minimal size of authorised catches, the features and the using conditions of fishing gears, the methods as well as the areas, periods, bans and fishing decrees.
The deputee on charge for sea fishing is able, with a decree, to set regulations relating to minimal size or weight of the species of fish and other marine lives catched, listed in the appendix of this decree. This regulations, specific to recreational fishery, shall not be more favorable than those applied to professional fishers.
Article 3 Onboard ships and crafts mentionned in the 1st article, it is forbidden to possess and to use other gears that those listed below :
- lines rigged with twelve hooks maximum ;
- two bottom lines supplied with thirty hooks each ;
- two traps ;
- one fork ;
- one net (a.k.a “salabre”).
Nevertheless, are authorised the possession and the use of :
- in the Mediterranean areas : a “grappette à dents”*.
- in the Northern seas, the Channel and the Atlantic : a trammel net of a maximal length of 50 meters (164 feet), a maximal height of 2 meters (6,5 feet) ; Apart from the areas of salt water of the estuaries and rivers mouths upstream of boundaries set by a decree of the deputee responsible for sea fisheries ;
- within the districts of Bretagne, Pays de la Loire and Aquitaine prefects, under the conditions determined in the 6th article of this decree : of a craft liftnet per ship and three scales per person onboard.
Article 5 In order to prevent the degradation of the halieutic resources when those seems to be threatened, and to guarantee safety, hygiene, public health and good order for fishing activities, the relevent administrative authorities may, by decree, take the following limiting measures :
1) Reduce the list or the number of gears of which possession is authorised on board of ships or crafts mentionned in the 1st article ;
2) Determine the list of gears or fishing methods that may be used for diving or shore fishery ;
3) Determine the features and the using conditions of authorised gears ;
4) Forbid permanently or temporarly fishery in specified areas or during specified periods ;
5) Forbid to fish specified species or limit the quantity that may be fished or carried ;
6) Determine protected areas around marine cultures establishments, artificial structures or fishaggregating devices.